Emergency Rental Assistance
Past Due On Your Rent?
Emergency Rental Assistance Alabama Application Process Begins , March 1, 2021
LANDLORDS: Are some of your tenants behind on their rent?
RENTERS: Can't pay rent or utility bills?
Emergency Rental Assistance Alabama is here to help. COVID-19 has affected residents across the state. We have emergency funds available to help Alabama renters pay rent and utility bills (including past due rent and utilities).
The online and phone system opens for applications from landlords and tenants on March 1, 2021, at 8 a.m. Central Time.
For more information, visit https://eraalabama.com/.
Both landlords and tenants can use this website to create an account and submit their applications. If you need assistance completing an application, our customer service staff can complete the application with you by phone by calling 1-833-620-2434 (toll-free).
Emergency Rental Assistance Alabama can help renters with the following costs starting as far back as March 13, 2020 (this means you could potentially request assistance for up to 11 months of past-due bills):
- Past due, current, and up to 3 months of expected rent costs
- Past due, current, or up to 3 months of expected utility and home energy expenses
- After the initial 3 months of forwarding assistance, you can apply for 3 additional months of assistance if funds are still available.
Do I Qualify?
- Households must have income at or below 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI), as defined by AHFA.
- AND One or more of the tenant household members have:
o Qualified for unemployment benefits; OR
o Attest in writing that due to or during the pandemic, they:
- Experienced a reduction in household income,
- Incurred significant costs, or
- Experienced financial hardship
- AND Households must also demonstrate they:
o Are at risk of homelessness or housing instability by providing an eviction notice or past-due utility or rent notice; OR
o Live in unsafe or unhealthy housing conditions
- The unit you are renting must be your primary residence and be located within the State of Alabama.
- Any unpaid rent or utility bills you apply for can go no further back than March 13, 2020
Monday-Friday / 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. CST