Currently Hiring: Custodial Technician
Job Title: Custodial Technician
Department: Office of the CEO
Reports to: Special Assistant to the CEO
Effective: January 23, 2023
Position Summary: As a Moving to Work (MTW) Expansion Agency under the Landlord Incentives Cohort #3, this position reports to the Special Assistant to the CEO. The Custodial Technician is responsible for the manual labor in connection with the maintenance and cleaning of the buildings and grounds for DH and its instrumentalities. The Custodial Technician is responsible for cleaning and maintaining areas including, but not limited to, community centers, management offices, restrooms, offices, lobbies, grounds, etc., as assigned.
The statements here reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skills typically required, and the scope of responsibility but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods, or balance the workload. The position description complies with the American Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Clean appliances and fixtures, including, but not limited to, cabinets, windows, stoves, refrigerators, plumbing, etc.
- Make and assist with minor general maintenance repairs, including installing receptacle plates, replacing bulbs, painting rooms, equipment, etc.
- Opvariousiety of power-driven equipment such as floor scrubbers, floor sanders, waxers, and wall washers; adjusts brushes, buffers, and other attachments on machines; uses wax, polish, and other protective agents appropriate for the various surfaces; washes walls and ceilings as needed.
- Polishes furniture and metal furnishings.
- Report problems when noticed and assist with clean-up when needed.
- Maintain security, safety, and good operating condition of tools and equipment.
- Make minor repairs, and report significant repairs, unsafe conditions, or missing tools and equipment to the immediate supervisor.
- Complete daily work order reports including, but not limited to, reporting materials used, completion time, appropriate comments, and recommended charges.
- Performs landscape maintenance, including mowing, raking leaves, trimming shrubs, and other grounds-keeping tasks.
- Undertakes and performs other work-related duties and special projects assigned by the Special Assistant to the CEO, CHO, COO, & CEO, including research, evaluation, analysis reporting, recommendation, problem resolution, and internal and external communications to support strategic goals as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must have a working knowledge of building cleaning practices, supplies, and equipment.
- Must be able to operate cleaning equipment, i.e., buffer.
- Must be safety oriented.
- Must have the physical ability to bend, stoop, and crawl while emptying or picking up trash and the ability to push and pull mops and vacuums.
- Must be able to lift and carry heavy trash bags and stand and walk for extended periods. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds unassisted.
- Ability to read, write, speak, and understand English well, and have some janitorial experience.
- Ability to write clearly in completing required forms and paperwork as needed.
- Ability to use cleaning materials effectively.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions.
Required Education/ Experience:
- High school or GED equivalent; plus one (1) year of experience in maintenance operations and/or performing custodial work and experience operating cleaning equipment such as a buffer (preferably).
Certificates and Licenses:
- Valid Alabama Driver's License and insurable by DH carrier
- Must be bondable.
This position requires the incumbent to exhibit the following behavioral competencies:
Values Statement/ Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Ability to demonstrate and exemplify our values of L.O.V.E.D (Listening, Opportunity, Versatility, Empowering, and Diversity). Ability to cultivate and develop inclusive and equitable working relationships with employees, customers, and community stakeholders. Supports and enhances a sense of belonging with employees, customers, and community stakeholders. Work towards equity and our agency's commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB).
- Must be physically able to operate various machinery and equipment, including power lawnmowers, string trimmers, hand tools, shovels, rakes, etc. Must be able to exert up to 75 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- The position generally works on DH and its instrumentalities properties, which may cause the employee to experience a range in temperatures and other weather conditions. The noise level may be loud, and the environment may be more hazardous than a standard office environment.
This position is required to enter into an executed confidentiality agreement and non-disclosure agreement with Dothan Housing.